Brussels Forum 2017
End of Complacency — Era of Action?
March 23-25, 2017
The transatlantic alliance and its partners find themselves at a crossroads. The aftermath of the U.K.’s vote to leave the EU, an ongoing terrorist threat in Europe and the United States, uneven economic growth and growing inequality, an influx of refugees and migrants to Europe, and tense relations with Russia are just a few of the developments fueling inward-looking sentiments and fears about the future. Combined with rapid social and technological change, our societies are dealing with many uncertainties. Increased public frustration and anger toward the status quo has enabled Euroskeptics, authoritarian personalities, and other anti-establishment figures to gain significant political traction. It is imperative that we openly discuss the challenges facing our democratic societies and how to more effectively adapt and respond to the underlying causes of the current turmoil in order to take advantage of the opportunities that come with change and transformation. We believe it is critical to engage a diverse group of stakeholders, bring new voices into these debates to find solutions, and strengthen our democratic societies through holistic, inclusive discussions that look ahead toward the future, while learning from the past.
Many of the challenges that the United States, Europe, and their partners around the globe face are highly interconnected and cannot be addressed in a single session. Many of the topics listed below will therefore be addressed in different cross-cutting sessions by a broad spectrum of diverse speakers.
Brussels Forum Session Topics
- Addressing Popular Discontent at Home and Abroad
- Rebooting Democracy
- Preparing for Cyber Warfare
- Understanding America
- US Leadership in a Changing Security Environment
- Stabilizing a Broken Middle East
- A New Vision for Europe
- Does the World Want to be Connected?
- The Reality of Economic Growth
- The Future of Work
- The Continuous Struggle: Living with Terrorism
- The Black Sea and Beyond: Strategies for a Troubled Periphery
- Reset or Retreat: The Cost of Rapprochement with Russia
- The West in Trouble? Responses from Partners around the Globe
- Is the Internet a Force for Good?